We believe that it is our responsibility to care for the earth so that it can meet the needs of today’s generation and those to come. To do this, we are measuring, managing, and reducing our environmental impacts throughout our entire company. Like parenting, we are constantly learning and doing our best to put these lessons into practice. Here is where we are today and what we are working to accomplish tomorrow.
1) Designing for comfort, durability, and the environment
- What we are doing: For nearly 20 years we’ve been designing products that are loved by parents and babies for their ergonomic comfort and durability. Today, we are taking our first steps to include environmentally preferable materials and production processes in our designs. Our new Aerloom™ carrier utilizes the production technique of 3D knitting with the use of 87% post-consumer recycled polyester yarn that is certified by the Global Recycled Standard. Each Aerloom carrier is made up of up to 26 plastic water bottles and each panel is knit-to-shape to help reduce material waste.
- Why it matters: Using fewer, safer materials ensures that we care for the safety and well-being of the earth, our children and the people who manufacture our products.
- Here’s our goal: This year we are extending our chemicals management program beyond current safety regulations that we strictly adhere to already. In conjunction with our carbon footprinting effort, we will be setting goals for reducing the greenhouse gas emissions generated by the materials and manufacturing of our products.
2) Ensuring healthy and safe working conditions for producing goods
- What we are doing: We are proud to have long standing relationships with suppliers that put environmental responsibility at the top of their priority list. We work collaboratively to ensure that the people producing our products are treated fairly and work in safe and healthy conditions. This includes forbidding the use of forced labor, child labor and discrimination. To provide accountability, Ergobaby’s factories hold social compliance certifications.
- Why it matters: We believe in taking care of people; those who wear our products and those who make our products.
- Here’s our goal: By 2022, we will complete a deep analysis of our material selection to further ensure the safety of work environments used to produce Ergobaby products.
A closer look at sustainability and social responsibility in our supply chain:
Vietnam: Our partner in Vietnam takes a holistic approach to business and community wellness. In particular, it has helped address the needs of rural communities in Vietnam by donating 50 ambulances and reconstructing local bridges with stronger, safer materials. Additionally, the company has built on-site housing for employees. For those employees who have worked with the company for over 10 years, they may move into multi-generational housing.
India: Our partner in India has a robust sustainability program including a solar array that saved over 244 metric tons of CO2 in 2019 -- which is the equivalent emissions of driving 605,000 miles in a passenger vehicle. Additionally, energy demand was reduced by 10% by changing lighting systems. On-site water treatment ensures compliance with local pollution control board standards and is used to irrigate landscaping. The company also donates significant funding to local schools for infrastructure improvements.
3) Measuring and reducing our carbon footprint
- What we are doing: With the help of a third-party agency, we are currently measuring our company’s entire carbon footprint -- including emissions generated under Scope 1, 2 and 3 of the GHG Protocol to establish a baseline for our CO2 emissions.
- Why it matters: We believe that climate change is one of the most pressing issues our children will face in their lifetimes. Establishing a carbon footprint baseline will allow us to set reduction targets that we will work towards to lower, and eventually eliminate, our contributions to climate change.
- Here’s our goal: By 2030, we will reduce our emissions to 45% of our 2010 levels as recommended by the internationally recognized Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) to align with the budget to limit rise in global temperature by 1.5˚C
4) Taking responsibility for keeping our products in use
- What we are doing: In 2020, we launched Everlove™ through which we buy back Ergobaby carriers, clean them, safety test them and resell them on our website at a significantly lower price.
- Why it matters: Through Everlove, we are building a circular product system that keeps carriers in use (reducing the need to make more) and provides greater financial access to our products. Compared to manufacturing a new carrier, Everlove carriers save about 80% of the CO2 emissions and 90% of water use.
- Here’s our goal: In the calendar year 2022, Everlove sales will be equal to 5% of Ergobaby’s global direct to consumer sales.