Feeding a baby in a carrier is totally doable. It may not be easy at first, but with a little patience and practice, you and your baby will get the hang of it in no time.
Here are some tips for breastfeeding your baby in a baby carrier:
- Be confident. Fake it until you are.
- Be patient. It may take time and practice and being patient with the process will help in the long run.
- Practice at home when baby isn’t hungry so you don’t feel stressed or rushed.
- Release strap on side you’re going to feed from.
- If necessary undo back clip.
- Loosen and lower waist if you need to get the baby still lower to the breast.
- Wear a low cut stretchy neckline and pull breast out the top to avoid wrestling with pulling your shirt up with baby on you.
- Slip hand in top or side of carrier to free breast and latch baby. Can use two hands usually if needed.
- Large breasted women may find a rolled up receiving blanket placed under the breast helpful for support.
- If baby has trouble latching, leaning forward may help give a little more space.
- Once latched tighten straps for hands-free Breastfeeding.
- If you feel you need more coverage snap one side of the hood. Leave the other open so you can see in easily.
- Once baby is done eating, slip hand in to put your breast away.
- Tighten strap and waist to raise baby back to the safest position with the top of their head easily kissable.
Babywearing and breastfeeding often go hand in hand; breastfeeding encouraged and even made easier by babywearing and babywearing encouraged and even made easier by breastfeeding. There can be a learning curve to figuring that out though but worth taking the time to see if it is something that would work for you. Once I got the hang of breastfeeding in a carrier it made it so much easier to chase around my other children (I have 6 total, keeping up is a big job!) and meet my baby’s needs too. Whatever carrier you have or prefer, breastfeeding is likely possible while babywearing. Today I’m sharing some simple tips for breastfeeding in a soft structured carrier using an Ergobaby. The below video was shot at the ABC Kids 2012 show, a simple demonstration of breastfeeding in a baby carrier.
How to Breastfeed in an Ergobaby Carrier – Video
Breastfeeding carries on! This post originally appeared here. Re-posted with permission.