It seems like nearly every child at some point in their little infant life decides sleep is something they don’t want. As adults, we wish we could convey to them that someday, they’ll wish they could take naps and sleep in every day. In the meantime, we research, we try, fail, and adjust, and we bust out all the tools to help our little ones sleep better.
Yes, we want our little ones to sleep so we can sleep too, but it’s more important than that!
“Sleep plays a crucial role in the development of young minds. In addition to having a direct effect on happiness, research shows that sleep impacts alertness and attention, cognitive performance, mood, resiliency, vocabulary acquisition, and learning and memory. Sleep also has important effects on growth, especially in early infancy. In toddlers, napping appears to be necessary for memory consolidation, executive attention, and motor skill development.”1
So, how do we help our babies sleep better?
Here’s a list of baby sleep products and tips that will make your life (and your baby’s) easier!
When done safely, swaddling is a great tool to utilize in infants because it mimics the cozy feeling they had in the womb. According to the Baby Sleep Site:
- Babies who are swaddled sleep longer and more soundly.
- Swaddled babies experience less anxiety.
- Swaddling prevents unnecessary wake-ups due to the startle reflex.
- Using a swaddle eliminates the need for comfort items in baby’s crib – no pillows, bumpers, blankets, stuffed animals, etc.
- A swaddled baby can’t scratch their face.
- Swaddling mimics touch
- Wearing a swaddle helps maintain baby’s back-sleeping position
- Swaddling soothes babies with colic
- Using a swaddle with baby in the hands-over-heart position is the preferred sleeping position for babies; in this position, they learn to self-soothe and can get back to sleep on their own.
Ergobaby’s swaddlers are made to support infant sleep!
- Escape Proof (Swaddler wings carefully designed to prevent breakouts)
- Easy Diaper Changes (Keep baby swaddled during diaper changes)
- Ultra-soft 100% Cotton (Perfect for baby’s sensitive skin)
As baby grows and starts rolling over, it’s recommended to graduate to sleep sacks so they have free use of their arms to support them.
Ergobaby’s Sleep Sacks are:
- Ultra-soft 100% Cotton (Perfect for baby’s sensitive skin)
- Fabric Weight (Light to cozy for optimum comfort)
- Easy Diaper Changes (Unzips from the bottom for easy access)
The Hatch does it all! Sound machine, nursery light, wake timer…it is the one stop shop for so many nursery needs! You can choose what color light and how bright you’d like it. You can set timers for sound and light to let your little one know when it’s time to get up. You can choose what sound and how loud, and the bonus? You control it all from your phone!
The Hatch nursery light is the best at home solution, but we know that most parents aren’t at home all day long! You have places to go and things to do. The Snooz Go is a great travel white noise machine that can attach to your stroller or car seat to drown out distracting noises and give your baby the same familiar feeling of sleep in the comfort of their home.
While this comes with a hefty price tag, it’s absolutely worth it. Complete with a video monitor and foot sock, the Owlet not only gives you a visual on how your little one is doing, but the foot sock monitors heart rate and oxygen. This sleep product is all about a parent’s peace of mind. You can rest easy knowing that the Owlet is tracking your baby’s sleep quality indicators like heart rate, oxygen level, wakings, humidity, room temperature, and noise level. All of these things help provide you with an understanding of your baby’s sleep quality and sleep state, so you can help them get the best sleep possible. It’s a win-win for everyone.
6. Blackout Curtains
You can find blackout curtains anywhere your favorite home goods are sold. And there are quite a few benefits of utilizing them in your little one’s nursery!
- Darkness Helps Release Melatonin
- Prevents Early Morning Wake Ups
- Keeps Baby from Being Overstimulated
- Provides Temperature Control
- The Curtains are Thick and Durable, Made to Last
7. Bedtime Routines
Every family is unique and your routines will be too! Children thrive with the rhythm of daily routines. It lets them know what to expect, and it prepares their bodies and minds for what’s coming next.
“Research shows that children who follow bedtime routines are more likely to go to sleep earlier, take less time falling asleep, sleep longer, and wake up less during the night. These benefits to sleep quality are still seen years later in children who followed bedtime routines when they were younger. In addition to improving sleep, bedtime routines teach your child self-care and lay the ground for working memory, attention, and other cognitive skills. They also foster parent-child bonding and may help improve mood, stress levels, and behavior.”2
Some bedtime routines include things like:
- Nutritious snack or bottle/breastfeeding
- Bath and diaper change (Try Tubby Todd Essentials for bath time! The lavender will have a calming effect for the duration of the evening.)
- Brushing teeth and going to the bathroom
- Reading a book
- Lullaby or singing a song together
- Massage, cuddling, and rocking
- Talking about their day
Speaking of bedtime routines, Fairy Dust is absolute magic! Developed specifically for kids, Saje created an aromatherapy mist that you can spray on pillows, lovies, their favorite stuffed animal, or into the air to create a calming atmosphere and scents that will soothe them right to sleep. If you want to opt for the roll on option, that’s available too to roll onto the bottoms of their little feet.
This humidifier is minimal, beautiful, and oh so effective. It’s described as “a completely reimagined humidifier that is
pediatrician recommended to promote easier breathing and better sleep for your baby.” It’s the only mold-inhibiting humidifier on the market, dishwasher safe, featuring filtered and hydrated air, AND you can diffuse oils on the aroma puck that sits on top of the diffuser! Auto mode sensors maintain optimal moisture day and night for your little ones. And yes, you can get one for your room too.
When you just aren’t sure what’s working or you’re having trouble finding a good solution for you and baby, Rebecca will come to your rescue! Rebecca works one on one with families to turn drama into dreamland.
While there is never any guarantee of a perfect night sleep, these 10 products and tips will get your little one (and you) on the right path.
Got more suggestions? We want to hear them! Share in the comments below.